Monday, June 23, 2008

Travel Log

Posts will be out of order this month, sorry. Here is a quick rundown of our trip to Illinois. More stories may follow.

Number of Firetrucks at our house the night before: 1 (and 1 ambulance and 1 police car)-Avery had croup and was struggling to breathe and I may have overreacted. But, come on, she's my kid and she couldn't breathe!

Number of times we left on time: 0

Number of miles on our van from the trip: 3,461

Number of days driving through tornado warnings (it was a little different for us Desert Dwellers): approximately 3

Number of storms during which we prayed that the tornado wouldn't touch down right where we were driving because the rain and hail and green sky were scary: 1


Number of states we drove through: 8-Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado

Number of animals we hit while driving: 2

Number of times we were kicked out of the Abraham Lincoln venues: 2-Once after 3-year old Eliza pulled the fire alarm and once during the tour of Mr. President's house when our children were unruly. But the man did it so nicely, we wondered if we actually had been kicked out. We had.

Number of times we had to have our van serviced: 3-Once after driving through a flood in the dark when Dustin hit a median and popped a tire. Once for an alignment needed after the new tires were put on. Once in beautiful Laramie, Wyoming after our serpantine belt broke and left us stranded. The picture is the flood we drove through and the Pizza Hut where our van rested with its popped tire until the next morning when the nice service people helped us. In the dark we couldn't see how flooded it really was.

Number of pieces of pizza Dustin ate at the All-you-can-eat pizza place in Independence: approximately 14, plus 2 cinnamon rolls, 1 salad, 3 pieces of dessert pizza and 1 ice cream cone.

Number of pictures Grampy and Grandma took of my cute kids: my guess is around 300

Number of children Grandpa can fit on the scooter with him: 3



Number of times the horn is honked: 17

8 comments:

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

It was a fun trip - and believe it or not, we'd do it again! Love ya!

Pulcheria said...

It sounds like your trip was definitely one to remember. I'm sorry we didn't get to see you, but I totally understand. I wondered about you numerous times when I thought about the flooding. I am glad you are all safe and that it didn't impact your trip too much! Driving through tornado watches is unnerving! When the watches and warnings start you can definitely tell who was raised aroung them (still out on their porches)and then those of us who grew up in Utah (hiding in our basements. Loved your number post! And as far as fire trucks and overreacting goes - check out my latest post! =)

Anonymous said...

Awesome there are so many cool things to comment on. Happy anniversary 7 years that is wonderful. Happy graduation to Avery and happy birthday to Maren who is so big holy cow. I loved all the pictures and her cake is so cute. And I LOVED the way you blogged about your fun trip which sounded awesome. That was way funny to read. I am glad you had such a great time and that you made it home without any true disasters. I hope we are not starting a trend of fire trucks and people from housing. =)

Tamie said...

very fun post....tornado warnings are NOT fun...only had to go trhough one on my mission. but i think it might jest be a little more scary when you've got your own kids there to worry about. hey at least you've got memorable moments to remember. :)

Michele said...

Wow, that sounds like an exciting adventure! Glad you're back in one piece!

Rachel said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love the random adventure facts! So cool and tornado, green sky, and all you can eat pizza...you just can't get any better than that! P.S. Julia married Eric. Remember him? She doesn't have a blog but she's moving into my triad so I'll demand that she make one. Mindy's baby was the other flower girl, btw. :)

Cari said...

Ayyayaaye! So much fun! I've been on lots of road trips but somehow I don't seem to have all the fun and adventure you do!

Jessa said...

Wow, that sounds like quite the trip! It's like the Griswald family trip times ten!