Sunday, November 21, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons


You make zucchini bread. Lots of it. In fact, you do what I like to call "The Great Zucchini Bread Experiment." Three times in the last six weeks I have had my freezer defrost unexpectedly. The first time my kids left my big freezer open. It is downstairs in the back room and it took until the next day to notice. Lots of thawed veggies, but the meat stayed solid. About a month later I forgot to turn my fridge back on after cleaning it. Right as I finished I became slightly distracted by the kids yelling "Grant has poopy all over his bed and hands!" Lovely. More thawed veggies and a some frozen leftovers to quickly consume. Then a couple of days ago I walked downstairs to find that someone had pulled the plug on my big freezer a few days earlier. This time everything was thawed. I probably caught it at the last possible minute of being able to use the food. Good thing I had just stocked up on a lot of chicken and pork chops. So my entire afternoon Monday was spent cooking as much meat as I could, running the rest around to my neighbors, unloading tons of freezer jams and (not so) frozen veggies, including all my zucchini. I decided if I have to make a lot of zucchini bread, I might as well do it in the name of science and for the sake of my posterity. If you are interested in the results, check it out. If not, then check out these pictures.

6 comments:

Cari said...

That is so crazy! But hey- now you can freeze all that yummy zucchini bread and eat all year long...assuming the freezer doesn't get unplugged again... And think of all the money you get to save in grocery shopping over the next few months ;)

Courtney said...

Ahhh!! That is so crazy. At least you are stocked up and ready to go in you ever have a day you need something to eat in a pinch. And Yay for Christmas! Your tree looks awesome--it's making me want to put mine up too.

Michele said...

WOw, how lucky! Kinda crazy that it happened three times close together. At least you saved as much as you could and didn't just toss it. HOpe it doesn't happen any time soon.

Nicole said...

It is Christmas!! Matt won't let us put ours up until after Thanksgiving. Lucky. I can't wait to wake up Christmas morning to that beautiful tree.

Lynnette said...

I almost hope it happens again if I get to be a zuchinni bread taste tester again...

Monica said...

your house looks so festive! I actually read this post weeks ago but I just now thought to comment. I wish we had a fireplace to hang our stockings. Ours on jacket hooks.