Saturday, March 5, 2011

It's Potty Time


See this? This is a potty chart, all filled out. Do you know how long it took to get the first ten stickers? About 2 months. Do you know how long it took to get the all the rest of those stickers? About 2 days. Do you know what the motivation was? A trip to a bounce house. Yes, that is a big bribe, but nothing else would motivate this kid. Candy? Not really. Stickers? Nah. A trip to the Dollar Store? Nope. Lots of praise, hugs and kisses? Not even close. The Zoo of the Kangaroo? Why yes! (I think it also helped that his younger cousin just potty-trained. We're competitive people around here). And so, the reward was had. Grandpa and some cousins came, which made it all the more exciting for him. It was a pretty stressful two hours for Mom, Dad and Grandpa (zero supervision from employees+zero security+many random adults around+large area in which to lose six small children=stressful two hours). But was it worth it? Oh yes, it was. Now, let's just hope that without a wonderful reward looming in the future, he is still motivated to sit on that potty.

7 comments:

Jacque said...

Hooray! I hope he keeps it up!

Courtney said...

Yay! I am going back and forth about potty training Brooke. I'm glad you found something that worked for you!

Jen said...

So,
I hope that you're faring better than we are- we've regressed to about a 40% success rate over the last few days. Very sad. So good job Ryan! And we wish you better luck than we've had.

Rachel said...

What motivates kids---soooooooo funny! I dread, dread, DREAD potty training a boy!!!!!!!!!!!

Colie said...

Yeah Ryan. Yeah Carolyn! One less diaper to change! Look how proud he is.

Lynnette said...

Yay Ryan! I am not looking forward to potty training. At all.

Jessa said...

I'm a firm believer when it comes to bribing! ;)