Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Isn't A Memory A Wonderful Thing?

Did you all have a great Day of Love? We did. We ate soooo much candy. And then this morning Grant found a bag of Maren's candy while she was at school, and went ahead and ate all that before I got to him. We also got a fun package in the mail yesterday (thanks Gramma). Of course, we also had a visit from the little ol' lady of Valentine's. Do you remember her? This year, our camera was out of batteries, but this is what she has looked like in years past.
Are you familiar with her? Do you have one of your own? She's crazy. She is loud and obnoxious and runs around the house with the kids chasing her, giving red lip kisses to everyone. But she drops lots of goodies out of her apron and the kids love her. Every year I think that maybe she won't show up, but my kids remember her and so she seems to come back. Darn memories. Although, this is how fake memories evolve: Avery said to me the other day "Mom, you are the Valentine's Lady, except when it was Nicole." My sister Nicole has never been the Valentine's Lady (at least not that I know of) but one year, Nicole was around to wittness the Valentine's Lady, and so now that memory of Nicole being there has morphed into Nicole actually being the Valentine's Lady. I would love it if Nicole would come be the Valentine's Lady. Permanently.

Just in case you were wondering, there are two reasons that you would get your mouth washed out with soap at our house. One of them happened today after I heard these words, which I never want to hear:"Grant is eating poop!". Deer poop to be exact. But don't worry, he didn't seem to like it and stopped.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I like fake memories. I bet I was really good at being the Valentine's Lady. But then i wouldn't get to enjoy seeing you as the Valentine's Lady. Just remember, in hine sight, it will be the best memory ever.

Lynnette said...

I'm also a fan of fake memories. And Valentine's Lady. She's a true Valentine's Day Heroine. Remember when people used to knock and run and leave valentines at our door when we were kids? Does anyone do that anymore? We need to bring back that tradition!

Monica said...

I forgot about the knocking and running thing! We do need to resurrect that one.

Every year I think maybe I'll bring the V lady to our house. And then every year I think of those pictures and decide it's not worth it. But I think it's great that you do it!!!

Oh, and HA! about Grant eating poop. That is very funny.

Megan said...

Rocky's Dad takes the kids hiking and they bring home little baggies of deer poop as treasure. I hope he does not let them sample it. I haven't asked and you never know with Grandpa.
Tradidition are fun and your girls will now have to be Valentine's Lady when they are Moms....

Rachel said...

Hahaha, you are so freakin' funny!!! I love those pictures! And ewwwwwww!!! Eating deer poop!! Oh man.