Sunday, December 11, 2011

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

This week has been nothing but Christmas.  I'm glad, of course.  I've been waiting all year for this and I'm a little sad that it is going so fast.  So I am glad to pack in all the Christmas my little heart can handle during the month of December.  This week we went to a live Nativity.  Temperatures were below freezing, but the kids didn't seem to mind.  It was neat to see real camels and chickens (if chickens aren't exciting, I don't know what is).  We lost only one child in the dark night, but luckily a Shepard found him and kept him with him until we got that far back down the path.  We came with four, we left with four: all-in-all a successful night!



Two days later was our ward party, complete with this guy:
Whatever happened to my little girls?  Avery asked for an I pad touch.  Maren asked for an ipod.  Fat chance, young ladies.  Ryan asked for a puppy (that seems to be a theme with my children).  Grant couldn't stop talking long enough to actually ask for anything, but I brainwashed him into thinking he asked for a car.

Two days later we came here.
Ahh, there is nothing like being in a place where you can feel the true Christmas Spirit.  Except that we forced our children to wear their snow pants in order to ward off frost bite.  And someone spent the first hour crying, whining, threatening to take off her embarrassing, ugly snow pants.  She was mortified.  She was humiliated.  Everyone was staring at her and her snow pants.  (We are the worst parents EVER!).  No one else seemed to mind their snow pants.  I even saw one other kid wearing some, so I explained to my daughter that snow pants are WAY cool.  She didn't believe me.  Ryan didn't even complain and he was wearing girl snow pants!  What is it going to be like when they are teenagers?  Yikes!
But then, when it was time to pause and listen to the Christmas Story (what I could hear of it, in between answering Grant's 1 million questions: Where are the man and lady?  Where are the singers?  Can I go in there? Where is the star?...)  I felt it!  I did!  I felt the true Christmas Spirit.  I felt so good as I heard the MoTab sing The First Noel, and looked at Mary, Joseph and The Baby Jesus.  I felt grateful for our Savior coming to Earth, in such humble circumstances, purely because He loves us.  And so, I hope you are all getting some time to enjoy this most wonderful time of the year and what it really means.  Even if it is only for a minute, in between all the whining, I mean the busy-ness of the season.

5 comments:

Monica said...

I am laughing so hard because I can just hear grant asking all his questions and see the " she who shall not be named" that was so embarrassed and it warms my heart. I wish we lived Closer so our kids could wine together this Christmas season!

Cari said...

That is awesome. I love that the shepherd found him ;) Love the snow pants drama. My boys would have been begging me to let them wear snow pants and boots. I keep waiting for it to snow before we go see the lights, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen anytime soon, I need to get up there (and hopefully I won't lose anyone)!

Megan said...

I love your posts, they make me smile it must be your brillant presentation (or the fact that it is almost the same as my house). I thought about you on your birthday but did not act upon that thought. I even knew you were here. Sorry and Happy Late Birthday. Glad to see your Mom smiling! Hope you guys enjoy the rest of the holiday season.

Lynnette said...

I'm just glad you got to hear MoTab. They're the in thing I hear :)

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year, and this year is no different. So glad that the shepherd found Ryan and that you were able to do such fun things to get in the Christmas spirit.