Sunday, April 15, 2018

Grant's Big Day(s)

Grant had a birthday this week.  He turned 9!  In some ways the last nine years have flown by, and in some ways they have crawled.  We had a fun busy week of celebrations for Grant.

Grant is not a huge fan of cake (hence, multiple jello cakes over the years).  So the night before his birthday we looked on the internet for some alternatives to traditional birthday cake, and we saw this:
The waffle pyramid cake.  Grant loves liege waffles (authentic Belgium waffles), so he requested his pyramid be made of those.  And I did spend the whole day making those special waffles.  I love them as much as he does, so I was happy to oblige.  But this pyramid is actually just cake batter cooked in a waffle iron because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough of the Belgium waffles.  And, I was right.  We finished off both batches completely.  Someday I'll put the Belgium waffle recipe over on our food blog because they are seriously the most delicious waffles you'll ever eat.
 There is the real deal.  Thick, gooey, crispy, sugary goodness.  Mmmm.





We had some cousins and Gramma Lana and Aunt Lynnette over for dinner, which was Feijoada (Brazilian beans and rice) and the Belgium waffle cake.  Grant had world traveling taste buds for his birthday.
A couple of days later Grant participated in the Book Battle finals at his school.  They didn't end up winning, so they got 2nd place for the 3rd grade, but it was fun to watch and it has been fun for Grant to be a part of.  They had to know all about 20 different books!  Grant was the team captain.


That night was his friend birthday party.  This year Grant wanted a Harry Potter birthday party.  Here is a funny story about Harry Potter.  My siblings, along with the rest of the world, are all obsessed with the Harry Potter books.  I have this weird rebellious thing where if everyone loves some book, I tend to not want to read it.  I don't know why I am this way.  I suppose it is a good way to rebel, so I don't fight it too much.  But because the world was going crazy about Harry Potter years ago, I never got into it.  Now I have kids who are starting to read the books, so I have read a few with them.  I should have fought my rebellious urges and just read the books when everyone else did.  I almost had the ending spoiled for me by a bunch of partying 9 year olds!!
The Hogwarts acceptance letter and party invite
The kids arrived at Platform 9 3/4.
 Sorting hat cupcakes.  The color on the inside determined what house you were in at Hogwarts.
 A bunch of Harry Potter's waiting to see what house they are in! (They are showing you their lightning scars on various parts of their bodies)




Then it was time for wand making and the photo booth.



 Pizza and butterbeer for dinner.

 And then Pin the Nose on Voldemort.



 We beat a dementor pinata.

 And then played a game with Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.  It looks like she just got a dog food jelly bean...
 Vomit flavor?  Or Lawn Clippings?
 After presents and more casting spells with our wands, it was time to go home.


We had a ton of fun at his Harry Potter party!
Grant is growing up and getting smarter every day.  He is still a very loving, hugging, kissing, cuddling boy, especially to me.  He loves to please and serve and is an excellent student and helper to his teacher at school.  He is a great reader and a great leader in his class.  He is an entrepreneur, and is always trying to think of jobs he can get as a 9 year old.  He has loads and loads of energy, hates to get his hair cut, loves to watch youtube craft channels and makes us so happy!  We love having him in our family!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

What an awesome birthday party! Happy Birthday Grant!