Sunday, April 21, 2019

A couple of weeks ago, the day after we got home from traveling for Spring Break, Grant came down with a stomach ache, right before bed.  I didn't think much of it.  We often get stomach aches, and we had just traveled 12 hours, eating lots of junk food.  He took his own temperature before bed, and it was 99.5, again, nothing super worrisome.  An hour later, he woke up really feeling like he was going to be sick, so I grabbed him a big bowl, and sent him back to bed.  Another hour later, and he was up again, this time complaining of his stomach hurting (I asked him to describe his hurt, and he said it wasn't like when he was going to throw up).  At this point I had the thought to pay attention to his symptoms, so I started asking more questions, and poking around his belly a little.  Dustin also gave him a blessing right when the pain was starting, and in it, he told him to be brave.  That seemed a little weird at the time, but it was also something that I took note of.  After about 45 minutes of watching him and talking about it, we decided that I better take him to the ER to check on his appendix.  By the time we got to the hospital, he was happily chatting in the back seat and I was feeling a little dumb because I had overreacted.  But, when we got out of the car and he had to walk, he was almost instantly in pretty severe pain.  After an hour in the ER, he was hurting really bad.  When they got us back to check him out, they gave him some tylenol, and within a few minutes, he was almost pain free.  But, when they did an ultra sound, they could see that his appendix was swollen and so they admitted him and scheduled us for surgery the next day (which, by then, was only 2 hours away!).  I am so thankful for the Holy Ghost, giving me little thoughts here and there of things to watch for or check.  I'm also thankful that I didn't give him tylenol, or I may not have taken him in!  
A few hours in the middle night of watching tv in the ER, and waiting for a diagnosis.
 Feeling pretty good after the surgery.  The nurse told us he was one of her most polite patients, as he was coming out of the anesthesia.
 Primary Children's Medical Center is pretty good to their patients.  He had a fun room, with video games, movies and smoothies, and he didn't want to go home! 
We were home in less than 24 hours.  He spent a couple of days at home with me, and then a couple of days of doing half days at school.  A week later he was back at school full time and feeling fine.
During that week of recovering, he had his 10th birthday (that was the first day that he could go back for a couple of hours).  We celebrated very low key on his actual birthday, but the next day we had cousins and Gramma Lana over for donuts and pizza.




During his sick week, he also went back one day long enough to participate with his team for the Book Battle finals.  His team won for the 4th grade!

According to our pictures, last week seemed to all be about Grant, ha ha!  But this week, we were back to dividing our time evenly among our four kids.
Maren had her first track meet, which was put on by Avery's track team, so that was fun.  She did well and it was fun to watch her race.
And, today was Easter Sunday.  We had a beautiful meeting at church and it has been a lovely week as we have studied about what Christ was doing each day of the week before his Atonement, Crucifixion and Resurrection.  Tonight we had our next door neighbors and Gramma Lana over for dinner and it was fun to visit.




I really feel so much love and gratitude for Jesus Christ.  Studying His life more thoroughly has really deepened that love.  I am so grateful for His suffering, death and resurrection and the opportunity that gives me to be with my family for eternity!

No comments: