Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Ahhh, Christmas.





We had a wonderful Christmas this year. This was our first year to stay at our own house. Dustin's mom came out a few days before and it was really fun to have Gramma Lana with us for the holiday. We did a lot of fun things while she was here and as usual, she was a huge help with entertaining the kids.

We have been pretty excited to start our own traditions this year. One thing that we did was a Bethlehem dinner on Christmas Eve. In a book I found, it said to have fish, grapes, grape juice, unleavened bread and figs. We improvised because A: we live in America, not Bethlehem, B: my kids will not eat anything on that list except grapes and 3: I don't think unleavened bread would taste very good. So, for our dinner we had fried chicken from Dan's, apple cider that someone gave us, crescent rolls and grapes. We dressed everyone up as shepherds and ate it on a blanket in the living room floor by the light of the Christmas tree. And so that we would feel more Bethlehem-ish, we didn't use silverware and said things like "Can I have more rolls, shepherd?".


On Christmas morning, the kids didn't get up until 8:15 AM, a disappointment according to my family's standards (we were the 4 AM type). I was happy to sleep in though because I had had a restless night of sleep, partly because I was just so excited for the kids to see everything on Christmas morning and partly because I was wired from the mad rush to help Santa after the kids went to bed. I think I was more excited than the kids were.


It was a fun, successful event and the kids seemed to enjoy everything. Ryan loved his new exersaucer (until he realized that it was more a gift for me to enjoy). When Avery opened the Princess Tea Party Set she squealed in a pitch that only dogs can hear for about 10 seconds and then she proceeded to do a donkey kick. I guess that means she liked it. Maren especially loved her "Dowa ban-naids". Thanks to the generosity of so many of our family and friends, our kids were completely spoiled. Thank you everyone and we hope you all had a great day, too!

6 comments:

severts6 said...

Wow! The Bethlahem-ish Christmas Eve dinner, what a cool idea! You guys are soo creative. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

Tamie said...

my last Christmas on my mission, we shared our Christmas Eve with a family of eight (possible more) kids and they did a Bethlehem dinner. I thought it was the greatest thing. We all dressed like shephards and ate at coffee tables in the living room. for unleveaned bread, you can just use pita bread, b/c that is all unleveaned bread is (no yeast...it tastes fine)...kudos on starting that tradition, i've been wanting to do that too...so if you guys come out for christmas one year and we're here, we'll have to combine. :)

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

This is actually Nicole: Well it looks like your Bethlehem dinner was a success, looking at the photo. Classic- you're kids will never forget, just like your Valentine Lady tradition. I wish I could have seen the donkey kick.

Michele said...

How much fun! I love the Bethlehem dinner idea. I can't wait to start our own traditions too, we still haven't had a normal Christmas since we've been married. Maybe next year. Little Ryan is getting so big. How fun.

Rachel said...

What awesome traditions! I love the picture explosion too. Your kids are so cute and Carolyn, you look fabulous!!

Pulcheria said...

What a wonderful Christmas! I think it's great you were able to spend one at home finally!