This summer, to help give us something to do, I planned something that I called field trips, or Tuesday Treks. It is obviously a little late for anyone to do this now, but I thought I'd give some details about it in case any of you want to plan it for your area next year. I got the idea from the last neighborhood that we lived in. My friend there did this every summer. Every Tuesday of the summer, I planned somewhere to take my kids (and anyone else who came along). It required only a little effort at the beginning; some thinking about where to go, a few phone calls to arrange tours, typing it all up and copying it for the neighborhood. I tried to make it at the same time each week, with people meeting at my house to caravan over. I passed the list out in church as well as to the people on my street who are not members of my church, but have kids at home. I felt like it was a success. We had a good amount of people at every field trip and everyone seemed to have fun. We always planned on a picnic lunch somewhere after and the mom's had a great time visiting while the kids played. Here are some of the places that we went:
A fire station
The kids are in the fire truck.
A local farm
We took tours of a movie theater (and we watched their dollar show as well), candy factory, grocery store (our best attended field trip), went to a museum, a cool park, and a hike up in the mountains. The last field trip was a potluck lunch and water party for the kids at my house. I figured that even if nobody else was interested, it would be fun activities for my kids for the whole summer. And it was a fun summer!
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sounds awesome! You can take the girl out of Reslife, but you can't take the Reslife out of the girl =)
LOVE this idea! How fun! Thinking of things to do to keep Brooke entertained is a challenge for me. Thanks for the great idea!
Can I live in your neighborhood, please?! You are amazing!
It was so much fun! Thanks for letting us crash your neighborhood field trips - they made the summer really fun! Michelle loved it, too :)
Post a Comment