Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ryan's Birthday Celebrations

This year, during Ryan's birthday we were driving home from Denver.  We celebrated the day before at a park with Dustin's family, and again a couple of weeks later, with his friends, for a birthday party.  And, actually, we gave him a bike for his birthday a couple days after his birthday, when we were home (and when we remembered.  Oops!).  So even though his actual birthday was kind of lame, with lots of driving and no celebration, hopefully we made up for it over a two week time span.  
Because we were spending the day at the park, I really wasn't sure what to do about the cake.  Make one the night before?  Leave the park for a couple of hours to make one?  Buy one?  The only request he had was that it was a three layer cake with chocolate frosting.  Dustin and I were at Wal-Mart at midnight the night before buying a gift, when, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a three layer chocolate cake (and eight tiny reindeer).  Sweet!  Throw on some M&M's, and you have nearly every birthday cake of my childhood.  I even put the candy on in the shape of a 6.  Aren't I creative?  Lucky for me I have an easy going son.  

 Super happy about the baseball glove!

New bike when we got home.
A couple of weeks later I finally got up the enthusiasm to put together his promised birthday party.  I seriously didn't know if I could muster up the energy (it has been a busy summer!), but in the end, I did a super low-key water party, threw out some otter pops, gave them each a cupcake (dressed as an ice cream cone) and called it good.  He was happy, I was happy.




 Opening presents.
The next day, we were swimming at our friend's pool and Ryan was running (a big no-no), slipped, hit the pool cover and took a big chunk out of his leg.  One very traumatic trip to the Insta-care later, he had two stitches and I had a headache.  This child has had serious issues with doctors since he was born.  The stitch removal went slightly better.  I convinced him not to kick his legs because the nurse was pregnant, but there was still lots of screaming.  At least I didn't have to hold him down that time, right?  Geesh.
Aside from anything invasive at a doctor's office, Ryan has a really easy going personality.  He is a big helper around our house.  He loves to help Dustin with his work and he loves to help me with mine.  He is a farmer at heart and is my most enthusiastic supporter of our garden.  He loves to pick the vegetables and he and I check the garden almost daily to see what has grown.  The other day he spent the afternoon helping me make a batch of pickles.  He was so excited to be using our cucumbers we grew!  Ryan really loves to ride his bike right now.  The other day he called out to me "Look Mom!" and I looked up just in time to see him standing on that bar thing that connects the two ends of his bike, as he rode down the street.  I decided I'm not really ready for bike tricks.  Ryan is loving, excited, a good friend, a helpful brother.  He is awesome at remembering to make his bed.  He is a great student, and I'm not quite ready to have him gone all day for 1st grade.  He gives amazing hugs and does amazing flips and head tricks.  We love him so much!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I love him too. How motivated were you to make ice cream cone cupcakes? Give yourself some credit:)

Courtney said...

Looks like an awesome bday to me! Ones that stretch over a period of days are the best one :) And the lucky thing about kids is that they probably don't even notice if we miss the actual day.