Sunday, August 31, 2014

First Day Of School And Field Trips In The Summer?

This week marked an important milestone in our lives around here.  Our youngest started kindergarten, and our oldest started her last year of elementary school.  All four kids are in the same school this year!  How exciting! (And, if I think about it too much, I might start to cry)
Here they are on their first day.  So handsome and so pretty.
 Here is Grant at his little table.  He was all smiles at this point because he was still with Dustin and me.
His real first day was a couple of days later.
Still smiling... (I'm not sure what that kid next to him is doing.  Maybe yelling loudly at him?)  He continued to smile until one of the teachers came out and spent 5 minutes telling us parents to not be sad and that they were going to "rip this bandaid off quick" and take the kids in.  So everyone blow kisses to mom and dad.  And mom and dad, you'll be fine, don't worry.  And we know this is even harder on you.  And don't worry, they'll be fine.  Nice, quick bandaid rip.  He was in tears before she finished her speech.  Luckily his teacher stepped right in and took his hand and all was well.  The next day not a tear was shed (by either of us).
So now that school is in full swing, I will tell you about some of our fun summer field trips that we did this year.  I plan these every year for the neighborhood.  It gives the kids and me something scheduled to go see and do.  This year we toured the Energy Solutions Arena and a chocolate factory, played in the water at a big park, played at a splash pad, wandered a Children's Garden and an Airforce Museum, went to a movie and a planetarium, and had a party at my house.  Whew!  We had fun!

The International Peace Park and Children's Gardens





Energy Solutions Arena
 Our tour guide was my visiting teacher.  This is where the press hangs out. 

 Sliding down the slippery walkway.
 It was a rainy day (surprise, surprise).

Hill Airforce Base Museum



The Chocolate Factory.  Mmmmm.  That was a delicious tour.


Lego Movie
We had a fun and busy summer, and I am so glad to be back in school!  And instead of being sad about this new and exciting phase we are in, I have decided to embrace it, enjoy it, and start a preschool so that I can still have little children, and chaos, with me during the day!

2 comments:

Matt said...

Yeah school! Can't believe it's already here!

Matt said...

Well Nicole said it, but I'm sure Matt would agree.