October was a hard month. And a good month. Today let's talk about the good things.
These are my good things:
One Sunday, the kids spent the entire afternoon working together (kindly, I might add) to make everyone a cake in Avery's Easy Bake Oven.
My amazing, sweet, compassionate, balding and looking so good, husband turned 36. I love him. He is my rock. He is funny, kind, helpful (brave, loyal and true). I seriously love this old man. There are 36 candles on there. That is a lot of wax to melt on the cake. We had a hard time lighting them all and some little fingers were burned in the process. But it was worth it.
We carved pumpkins. Avery and Maren (the two left ones) did theirs completely on their own. Not too shabby. Grant and Ryan designed theirs and I busted them out in 10 minutes flat, goatee and all. Dustin, who is an artistic perfectionist, was gone that evening, otherwise it would have taken us much longer, and the boys' would have looked much better. But they were happy, so I was happy. (And it only took me 10 minutes!!)
That little green dragon is mine. Grant had a Halloween parade and songs at his preschool. I loved it. I could even hear his cute voice above the others (he has some lungs on him).
And Halloween came and went! Have I said before how the costume process went for me as a child? We were told to go downstairs to the "Halloween Box" and find some old costume to wear. Every year. My mom is not a big fan of this holiday. I like the holiday, but I have totally taken my mom's lazy (no offense, Mom) costume attitude. This is what my kids came up with (except the dragon, which my sister, Jen, let Grant borrow), Ryan is an injured man, Avery is a witch and Maren is a scarecrow. I did buy some face paint, bandages and blood. Otherwise, the dress up box came through again!
My sister, Lynnette, on the hand, dressed her twins like this:
Homemade paper mache' minions! I know, she is amazing. It's a wonder that we come from the same mother.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It was so great to see this update and pictures of the family. I love to read your posts because I can hear your personality in it.
Happy Birthday to Dustin - he IS a wonderful old man! ;)
I love Grant and Ryan's pumpkin designs - great job on the goatee carving!
I take the same approach with Halloween costumes - find something in the dress-ups and use face paint and make-up. So far my girls haven't complained about it (knock on wood).
I hope your November has less of the hard and even more of the good! :)
The costumes are so cute and creative! Brooke is pretty unopinioned (shockingly) when it comes to costumes and lets me decide for. Hopefully that will last a few more years.
Fun times- I have to say, my easy bake oven was my favorite thing as a kid- I can still taste the extra sugary, chemically cake mix it came with in the 80's :) And there's no shame in letting kids express their own creativity, right? You're not lazy. Just like you're watching out for their good health when you eat all of their Halloween candy.
I love the pumpkins. And all the good things that came out of October:) I love you so much. Happy Birthday Dustin, did I tell him! Oh I'm a bad sister-in-law. I already know that I will lean more towards your and mom's way of doing Halloween.
Post a Comment