Merry Christmas! We had such a great month of December! The kids did get super sick (it is a Christmas tradition, after all), and it really wasn't any fun, but even with that, it just felt like a peaceful, Christ-centered season for our little family.
The kids slept under the Christmas tree (multiple times).
We painted ornaments together.
Someone did the "12 Days of Christmas" for our family and it was SO much fun for our kids!
We did our authentic Bethlehem dinner, complete with sparkling cider and ranch covered fried chicken from the grocery store. We also acted out the Nativity story before eating.
From Grant's expression, you'd think that was some real Bethlehem grape juice.
Do you think Ryan likes the sparkling cider? Just wash it down with some ranch, son.
We went to our friend's Christmas Eve Open House and then back home to open jammies.
And then a few short hours later, Dustin and I were awakened by our our excited children. (I'm not kidding here, Avery started coming in 30 minutes after we laid down for the night at 1:00 AM and then we finally let them get up at 6:00.) And Santa had been here!
This is Grant enjoying Maren's homemade gift to him: a balloon powered car. Avery made Ryan a basketball hoop, Ryan made Maren a bird house and Grant made Avery an ornament. I love this tradition. They are more excited to open the present from their sibling than any other gift. And they have been so good to be happy and excited and grateful to that person who made it.
And the aftermath:
I love this. This was totally unprompted from Dustin or me. They were super excited to use their snow shovels. And what they didn't even realize was that they were doing a chore! Bwah ha ha!
We really had a happy Christmas, for which I am grateful. One thing that we did different this year was that we read a scripture about Christ every night for our family scripture study. I got the idea from a Relief Society Meeting (they even provided the nightly scriptures, so it really was no effort on my part), and it really seemed to focus our thoughts on the Savior more. It is definitely going to be a new family Christmas tradition.
And now it is done! And the new year has come and gone! (Which will have to be another post for another day)
3 comments:
Your commentary on your posts always cracks me up! I laughed so hard at the cider face :) It's always fun reading about other people's traditions during this season. Glad it was a good one for you guys (minus the sickness)
I'm glad to hear that the Christ centered Christmas is achievable with someone in my same stage of life! We tried to do Christ-centered scriptures the whole month too, but by the end of the day (when we read scriptures) there are so many people in bad moods it doesn't feel too Christ-centered, ya know? I say this every year, but really, we'll surely do better next Christmas. :)
I love the authentic Bethlehem dinner - I'm sure it's very close to the real thing. ;)
I noticed the luggage. Are you guys planning a trip to Connecticut? You're invited anytime! We could plan so much fun stuff and live like sardines in the little house for a few days!
We do need to talk or e-mail soon! I'm off to pick up Carly from school!
I love all of the individual pictures with their loot:) Matt and I didn't do it this year! I wish we could have been with you again for Christmas morning.
Post a Comment