Sunday, March 2, 2014

Baby Owen's Funeral

The last couple of weeks I have had a lot of opportunities to think about our Heavenly Father's Plan of Salvation.  A class mate of Avery's passed away, my nephew, Owen, passed away, and my good friend Donna was in the hospital (Donnas is 87).  I have had on my mind the mercy and love of our Heavenly Father, and the strength that we receive through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  Owen and Edith Cragun were born on February 15th.  Little Owen had acrania, and lived for 7 hours.  Watching my sister, Nicole, and her husband, Matt, face this trial with so much faith and dignity is truly inspiring.  They are pretty amazing people.  Nicole and I have talked more than once, about the strength they are receiving from our Savior.  What a blessing the Atonement is!  Owen's graveside service was in Enoch, where I grew up.  At the service, I read some thoughts of Nicole's, in her behalf.  One thing that she talked about, that I have really admired, is that they made the choice early on to be happy through this trial.  It brought tears to my eyes when I read Matt's title of his photo album of that day: "The Best Day Of My Life."  So many life experiences happened for them in that one day.  They became parents, twice.  And they held their baby as he took his last breaths.  They chose to focus on the life that Owen had, knowing that this is not the end for him.  They know they will be together forever and he gives them something to work hard for, right now.  What a blessing he is for their little family!  They have remained cheerful and faithful through it all.  I love them for that.  Nicole is my baby sister, but she is far above me in so many ways.

 A tiny casket
 Each cousin put a flower on his casket (the yellow one is from his sister, Edith)

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Thank you Carolyn. I love you.

Courtney said...

I too am thankful for the gospel and His plan for us. What a hard thing for your family to go through. I'm sure there will be hard days ahead, but it sounds like your sister and her family have a firm foundation to rely on.

Camile said...

Beautiful tribute to baby Owen and his family!
I'm sure Nicole and her husband have always been amazing people and have become even more amazing through this experience.