Sunday, April 27, 2014

Why My House Smells Like A Barn

If you were to come to my house today, you might notice a slight stench and it would remind you of walking through your grandparent's field of alfalfa as a child (assuming, of course, that you have that memory like I do).  My kids have been begging for a dog for years.  We have this great excuse not to get one though: we have no fence.  The other day I took the girls to the pet store to buy some bird feed, and they had the most adorable dwarf bunnies.  Because they were so cute, and the girls saw me thinking they were so cute, and when they asked I didn't immediately say no and crush their innermost hopes and dreams, they got it in their head that they could each buy a bunny.  I really have a "thing" with inside animals (not a good thing), so I thought this would be a good compromise because bunnies are outside animals.  I talked Dustin into agreeing and a couple of days later the girls had each purchased their own dwarf bunny!  Meet rootbeer and buttermilk.




So, of course, we had had beautiful weather up until the minute we bought two rabbits, and since then it has been cold and rainy almost every day.  Too cold for baby bunnies to be thrust into the outside world.  We also have had tons of stuff going on every night, with no free time to buy a rabbit hutch.  And so, for nearly a week, I have had two smelly bunnies in a box house, in my living room.  Am I tired of this?  Yes, I am.  Did I mention I'm not really an inside animal person?  I blame my mother.  She would never allow us to bring our dogs or cats or bunnies or chickens inside when I was little.  Occasionally we would sneak them in, but somehow my mom always knew and would sniff them out (probably literally) and shoo them out the door.  Both my mom and dad grew up on a farm (remember, it's in my blood!), and the rule around their houses (and mine, growing up) was that animals stayed outside.  Now that I have a house of my own, that I pay for, and clean, and take care of, all I can say is "Thank you Mom!".  These wild animals are enough for me to clean up after right now! 



4 comments:

Camile said...

Oh such cute bunnies!!! I'm not a huge fan of inside pets either (although I was as a kid). But we will most likely have an indoor dog at some point after we buy a house. And it will most likely be huge! I have mixed feelings about it.

Nicole said...

I have the exact same complex about inside animals! We are probably the only ones though. It brings back memories of Thumper:)

Courtney said...

Yay bunnies! That is probably the only pet I would allow my kids to have since I pretty much hate all animals (sad but true). I hope it ends up being a good addition to your family :)

Jen said...

Good for you for letting the bunnies in! I did have one kitten that got to live inside in a box at the end of my bed for about a week. It would cry all night and make me want to pull my hair out in frustration and guilt. Good training for parenthood, I guess.