Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Face That Only A Mother Could Love


Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I baked bread. By myself. ALL by myself. And I was pretty pleased with my conquest. As I do with everything I cook, I improvised a little (a little too much flour=a little more water, etc.). And I must say, the bread is edible. That is all I must say about it. It looks awful and tastes ok, but at least I did it! Right? Someday I'll be a great bread baker. Meanwhile, if you have an amazing, easy (must be easy) bread recipe that you would like to share with me, please do. Because now I am officially a bread baker!
(not to be confused with a bread maker, that would do it all for me, which I do not have)

10 comments:

Nicole said...

Hmmm. Well, maybe wheat bread is harder to make than white bread. I am proud of you though. I'm glad it was edible, but I must say, it's a wrinkly looking bread:) And I say that with all the love in my heart.

Michele said...

Yeah for embarking on bread making! I've been doing it for a little over a year now and let me tell you, it takes some getting used to. My first batch turned out as bricks but I went to a bread making class and it all got better. I have a super easy recipe for you. Try it and see what you think!

Here's for wheat bread:
http://sweetluvininthekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/02/homemade-bread.html

and here's for white:
http://sweetluvininthekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/12/homemade-white-bread.html

Good luck!

Megan said...

That is truely an accoomplishment. I haven't tried making wheat bread. I have lots of wheat but I don't have an electric grinder. And I don't think the bread would be worth a day worth of grinding. I would yell at my children if they didn't eat every crumb.

This recipe is for easy white bread and it is delicous. I use 3 tablespoons of oil instead of 3 tablespoons of LARD. But you choose :)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Traditional-White-Bread/Detail.aspx

Good Luck!

Rachel said...

You're ahead of me girl! I've baked gluten free bread and it looks AND tastes like doorstops so I can't help in this department. :) Good luck on your future career as a baker!

Cari said...

I will be doing a breadmaking class next week for r.s. and will be posting the recipes & how-to on my food blog www.ldsbaker.blogspot.com Don't give up- it just takes the right recipe and lots of patience ;)

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

Let me know if you want my recipe. I've always thought that it was pretty easy. Love ya!

Courtney said...

I attempted to make rolls from scratch once. They were NOT edible. I got a breadmaker for Christmas. I love it. I did survive making cinnamon rolls from scratch though! Good job!

Jen said...

Sorry Mom, but even your bread turned out a brick for me. Good job Carolyn on making edible bread! Even if it did somewhat resemble Sloth (for the goonies fans).

Courtney said...

Way to go! I have never attempted to make bread before. You'll have to let us know how your next batch turns out with that easy recipe you find :)

melissanothum said...

Im proud of you!! Just checking in to say hello!....and yes...a couple of years ago I went on the same bread making adventure....and I still make bread every other week I do have a recipie that works for me...and I have learned a few tips here and there...let me know...Ill email it to you...I get 2 loaves of bread in 1 hr 30 mins...not too bad
Hope all is well
love ya
melissa